Friday, September 9, 2011

Alexander McQueen Black Skull Pumps DIY Knock Off

Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty

Alexander McQueen Black Skull Pump



I was shopping for shoes and found some Alexander McQueen Black Skull Pumps that I loved!!!! But I don't have $845.00 to buy them.  After I couldn't stop thinking about them I decided to create a budget friendly DIY knock-off.  Note: This project has an unexpected supply source:)
Supplies:





Step 1: Take a quick trip to an auto parts store. Luckily I have one close, O'Reily in Colorado. Purchase a pack of “skull valve stems with red eyes”
(Amazon has them for $4.99 a package: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003VKX7IS/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new)



Step 2: In order to get the three dimensional skulls to lay flat for glue on the shoe clip blank you have to sand the back flat. I did this by hand with a piece of course grit sandpaper rubbing it back and forth.  I also roughed the surface of the skull with a cone attachment on a pedicure set I use for crafts. It is like a mini Dremel but without the intense outcomes. You can do it by hand just as easily. You need to rough up the surface to get a good bond with the primer.

Step 3: Prime and paint! I used gold metallic spray paint, but any color would look cool.

Step 4:  When the paint is dry add black crystal rhinestones to the eye sockets and teeth with “gemtack” or strong adhesive. 

Step 5: Luckily “Shoe Clip Blanks” are now easily available at craft stores or Etsy. Very inexpensive and they work perfectly. Originally I ordered vintage 80’s era clips from Etsy and that was the only source I could find. I have noticed they are in all my local craft stores now.  You could also affix it to the shoe with adhesive. 

My Version of Savage beauty

From the side and glued to the clip

Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. I saw this and would love to have you post this article as a guest blogger on our popular site. Please contact me @ tara@TBBReality.com ASAP. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete