Friday, April 19, 2013

Pottery Barn Skateboard Rack HACK!

Pottery Barn Skateboard Rack HACK!




This is what I used, but it could be made smaller or larger and the sizes would just be adjusted as needed.
·         1" x 6' (8 foot long) pine
·         Kreg Pocket Hole supplies for 4 holes
·         wood glue
·         Stain
·         Sandpaper
·         1 inch hole paddle for drill

Step 1: I cut (Quantity 2) 7 inch long pieces for the top and bottom
Step 2: Measured the remaining board and cut it in half.

Step 3:  Draw a pencil line 2 inches from the bottom across one of the 41 inch boards
Step 4: Measure out 6.8 inches and draw a vertical line. This gives you the x to create the 5 skateboard slots.
Step 6: I placed at quarter on the x and traced it for all 5 slots.
Step 7: I used a speed square to create 2 45 degree lines jutting from the circle to the edge of the board. These are my cutting lines.


Step 8 : Sandwich the two 41 inch long boards together with clamps
Step 9: Drill the quarter holes with a drill paddle attachment. this was tricky, with the boards sandwiched I drilled through both until the little pointy center peeked out the bottom board. Then I flipped the board and drilled from the back down.  This technique was adapted after I busted up one circle by drilling the full way down both boards. It splintered out the back too much.
Step 10: Using a chop saw, I lined up the diagonal cuts and the circle cutout and chopped the inset channel for the boards. I hope you have an easier way to do this part. It was all I could think of for the tools and knowledge I have.
Step 11: Using Kreg I created 4 pocket holes for the top and bottom and attached the frame together
Step 12: Sand and stain or paint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment