Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Hunger Game Birthday Invitation

HUNGER GAME INVITATIONS

 Makenna is having a Hunger Game Tribute training birthday party! Say that three times fast.

Step 1: I used PowerPoint to type up the invite, played with the fonts, bold, arrow clipart, and lines. I outlined the invite with a black frame. 

Step 2: Print in black the invitations.  Then realize I forgot the address! Redesign the invite and account for enough room to now mount the yellow invite to black paper to hide the mistake side without the address.  Flipped those sheets over and printed a correct version. 

Paper buying tip: I purchased paper in Yellow and glitter/gloss black from Hobby Lobby. Not on sale and .59cents a sheet and I was thinkin this is not a perfect situation.  Add the mistake of missing address and the need for more black paper had me exploring inexpensive solutions. So here is the tip… Tuesday Morning. I discovered they sell crafts and scrapbook paper and not by the sheet. They sell the bundles of paper that look like the wholesale package of one color that stores like Hobby Lobby unwrap and slide into the trays for .59 cents each. All bargain stores are a hit or miss but in this case I was flexible and lucky to find a yellow orange package and a pearlescent black for $1.99 a package (8.5 x 11). $4.00 for 25 sheets of each color… SCORE!

Step 3: Cut out the invites.  I line up the black frame under the guide of the paper cutter and get a near perfect yellow border around the black and reliable size for the envelope. 
 
Step 4: Black glitter paper medallion for the top of the invite. 
I imagine if you don’t have a cutting tool you could buy stickers, print the logo on the invitation, or print it on contrasting paper and cut it out by hand or with a circle punch.  I used my Silhouette Studio software and paint as follows:  

If you don’t have a cutting tool you could buy stickers, print the logo on the invitation, or print it on contrasting paper and cut it out by hand or with a circle punch.  I used my Silhouette Studio software and paint as follows:  
  • Copied and pasted from a random website the logo into Microsoft Paint.  Save the image as a .bmp.  Note I was not too worried about blurry or anything as I only wanted the outline.
  • Silhouette Studio open the image and select Trace > Select Trace Area option TRACE (traces every line) I learned how to do this at:
    http://www.kwernerdesign.com/blog/?p=4882
  • Right click on traced image.  Select Release Compound Path. Select and delete all inside lines and shapes until I had the outline I wanted. 
  • Cut one inch sizes across a single sheet of the Black paper.
We glued the logo to each invite with a ball point glue pen.  We used photo squares to mount the yellow to the black background. I didn’t use glue because the mistake printing on the back bled and made a mess with the glue.

Next Project: The goody bag contents





No comments:

Post a Comment