Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie


Mint chocolate chip cookie

I struggled with this one.   I started with a delicious looking pin for cookies made from http://tidymom.net/2011/mint-chocolate-chip-cookies

They included crème de menthe chips and a simple combination of instant ingredients. I am well know to honor the art of “Magic” food.   This fit the bill.

Magic = Simple combinations of ingredients (preferable 3 or less) that I almost can’t fail with. 

The bummer was I couldn’t find mint extract or the chips. I fear these are holiday type ingredients. I even tried Tony’s meats where more quality and specialized ingredients can usually be found but no luck. 

I pressed on!  I wanted to make these cookies…  I failed mightily with a homemade extract of peppermint oil and vodka mixed with everything except the crème de menthe chips. It was not minty enough and the color I used barely registered in the cookie.  So… after finally finding the mint extract at the craft store in the baking isle I tried a new version that Kaden really liked. Here it is and it the cookie pictured above. I think it is yummy with vanilla ice cream.


I use this base for lemon cookies, chocolate, strawberry cookies, etc. I prefer to find the mix with the flavor and keep it simple but in this case I went with white cake and added the prescribed mint portion from the previous recipe.

1 Duncan Hines White cake mix
2 eggs
½ cup of oil
½ teaspoon mint extract
Green food coloring ( I used wayyyy too much and they are a bit hulk looking)
1 ½ cups milk chocolate chips 

In large missing bowl cream the eggs, oil, food coloring, and extract. Add cake mix and combine thoroughly. Fold in chocolate chips (use any flavor of chip you like).

Drop by tablespoons full onto cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

FYI: I can’t wait until I find the mint chips they will be especially delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment