Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Men's 3x goodwill shirt refashion

Shirt Refashion!
Finally, I came up with an easy (for my limited skills) men's button down shirt refashion!


The shirt was a really pretty blue and white button up in a size 3x. It was brand new, $2.00 at goodwill and had a pretty little Paula Dean embroidered pocket. I have been scouring Pintrest for ideas that will work but never found one that looked easy and/or had rockabilly flair.

Soo... The inspiration went like this.  I happened to notice the top a country singer was wearing in a video at my friends house.  I didn't get a great look at it and can't find any decent internet pictures but it was a cross between Alabama Chanin and Steampunk.Side note: I can't afford Alabama Chanin, but I love it! So this video got me dreaming about tubetop corset thingies in unfinished and fluffy greatness in many variations. I have two tops I am making from this inspiration and the men's shirt refashion is the first. Really looks nothing like it but you know how inspiration goes:)
http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/band_perry/artist.jhtml
inspiration

This is not so much a tutorial as a running event catalog. I ripped more seams in this project than I have ever imagined possible.

Supplies: Big shirt from goodwill, white ruffle (2 yards and way too much) with bias tape top.






Event sequence:

  • I laid a cotton tube top on the men's shirt laid out flat. Specifically centering the the outline to include the buttons down the front staying down the front.
  • To keep the buttons from gaping I sewed a matching seam down the outside line of the button series. I overlapped it on an existing seam so it doesn't look wonky.

  • I folded over the top and ironed down a straight line with a white button perfectly centered. I used a silly swirly seam (no reason really, wanted to try it:)

Fail events:
  • I copied the fold over in the back and ran elastic through it. But when assembled the back looked puffy and unfinished. So I ripped that out and shirred a few inches of the top. I wish I had shirred almost the entire back.
  • Original ruffles were sewn upside down and I imagined I could iron them down (rightside) and have a polished row/line. Nope they were too puffy and did not lay flat. so I made strips of bias tape and sewed the ruffle to the bias tape and then sewed it to the shirt. Before I found success I had all the rows sewn on. The seam ripper was the salvation because I didn't have fabric to turn to and I had cut up almost the entire shirt.
  • I wanted unfinished edges on the gingham but the direction I had to cut the fabric has it fraying. Fray check to the rescue. 
Success events again:
  • Prior to sewing the pieces together I shirred the back piece. Time consuming but looks very neat. This is the first time I have done so many. I used instructions from: http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2011/11/sewing-tip-shirringsmocking-with-elastic-thread.html
  • I shirred the top of the ruffle pieces and sewed them into the bias tape I made in equal lengths. I cut matching lengths of white store bought ruffle. Working from the top down I layered the ruffles. It helped to have the shirt still in pieces for this. They were easy to line up with the pattern of the fabric so I just eyeballed it. I have each ruffle starting up against the button line.




  • Ran a piece of elastic accross the top back for extra stretchy. 
  • Right side together assembled the pieces. 
  • Flipped right side out and started cleaning up all the threads. I still need to add the fray check to each blue ruffle but I am in love with it. I am wearing it today with a white jean jacket. With the shirt tails from the original shirt I can tuck it in or wear it un-tucked cute either way.
Next up a cream and lace shirred top more similar to the video inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment