Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Monster High Costumes

Monster High Costumes
Inspiration: Frankenstein’s Daughter


Shirt:
Simple T-shirts from craft store for $2.50 on sale.  They were boxy so I shaped them and added a sleve detail that saves me from creating alternative sleeves with poof.
Series 1: Inside the t-shirt sleeve I made a tiny slit halfway from the bottom on both sides. Using a small piece of elastic I ran it through the top with a safety pin and stitched it down.


Series 2: Turned the t-shirt inside out and had Mak put it on.  I pinned the sides to a fitted shape and had her take it off. I stitched along that line for a fitted shirt. As the bustier (faux) is going over top this shirt it needs to fit smooth on the body.  I am surprised how cute the shirt looks.  FYI only the top half of the t is sleeve is gathered because Mak has a broken arm and the cast has to fit through it. I will say this works for a restyle as well because it poufs but isn’t squeezing her bicep which looks lame and is common to a lot a shirts lately from the stores.
Series 3: I cut a square of plaid, lined up like a bustier and sewed it directly to the front of the shirt.  Add a collar like the threadbanger design here http://youtu.be/QkntSQ-s7G4 and almost done.
I forgot to take an after shot when sewn on. Sooo... imagine it sewn on with 2 faux boning channels to the side of each breast.

Using the plaid fabric I cut 2 pieces about 30x10 and 2 pieces cut 60x15. I only ended up using one of the second for the skirt.
Series 1: In the smaller 2 I created a channel to run the elastic. Once elastic was threaded I closed it up and fit it Mak.  Note:  The skirt I copied had the elastic sewn in horizontally but I didn’t want to take that much time. I just sewed it in place on both sides.  I don’t have the girls with me while sewing every step so I keep doing things that allow me to fit to them later.  Not great for steps but works for speed once I get the girls in front of me.




Series 2:  I ran a straight long stich along the top of the long piece. If you skip locking the stitch in you can pull the thread when done and get a gather. Lots of websites describe gathering techniques.  This is crazy fast and easy for a costume.

Series 3: I lined it up and pinned the gathered bottom to the top.  I had to undo and redo this twice to get inside outside correct. I was not thinking it out and trying to work too fast.

All told even with the 2 repeat pinning efforts the skirt only took about 20 minutes to make. And the total fabric purchase was $4 for both costumes. Cheap all together for this effort. I purposely made this a bit modest.  When we add the tulle skirt beneath I want the skirt to stay down and not look like the less modest purchased version.  After all this is for a 9 and 4 year old not meJ

Still to do: temporaty tattoos, latex neck bolts, earrings, tie, belt, dog, journal.

1 comment: