Monday, January 9, 2012

DIY Gift Lemonade Stand in a Box

Lemonade Stand in a Box Gift

FYI: Was intended to be a Christmas gift to the neighbors.  It was only 2 weeks late:)


Step 1: print the labels and tally sheet.  I created a them in power point and printed them on avery 8/12 x 11 adhesive sheet and white cardstock. Free printable if you want my design.  I laminated my tally sheet so the gift recipient can use a dry erase pen over and over again.  I created the list of instructions and best practices from the country time website and kids business ideas I looked up.

Step 2: buy a few supplies! Use your imagination and make this gift as large or small as you like. I considered a plastic pitcher from the dollar store and putting all the supplies inside the pitcher. I ended up loving a cute green swirl pattern shoe box from Target a bit more and like the idea the kit fit on a shelf and was all in one box.
What I bought for the box:
ü  Lemonade mix    I purchased a jar of lemonade mix from the grocery store when on sale and with a coupon.  So the big container of mix only cost a couple of dollars. 
ü  Mini citrus colored whisk   I got a 2 pack at big lots for $4. The full size did not fit in my box.
ü  Plastic locking lid shoe box Target carries a couple of storage container styles with every size imaginable available in a set pattern.  This green box feels summer citrus to me. I like that it is clear so the fun contents can be seen inside.
ü  (2)  20 pack green cups The dollar store had the perfect color of green and 2 packages fit perfect in the box with the large package of mix.


Step 3: Make the big sign. I specifically used fabric so it could roll up into the box.

a.      I sewed a fabric strip to a vinyl shelf liner. I created 2x1 rectangle of yellow scrap fabric.  It was thin so I doubled it.
b.       I folded the vinyl shelf line (clearance bin from Michaels for .50c a roll) package style over the edges and used my sewing machine to sew it down.
c.        I placed a flower scrapbooking eyelet in each corner so the sign can be hung in any way necessary. In hindsight I should have used big grommets but the flower was so pretty.
d.       I used my silhouette cutter to create the letters LEMONADE STAND in sparkle glitter iron on vinyl. Each letter is a 1.5 inches tall and the glitter will get the drivers attention when the stand is sitting in the sun. Craft stores sell letters of all sizes or a simple stencil would work so vinyl iron on is not a limiting factor.
e.       I used chalkboard paint to make a small price square on the sign. Let the kids pick their price. I included a piece of chalk and vis-a-vie pen in the box for the tally sheet and sign.
Note:  If you have never done iron on letters before I have to mention that regardless of the cutter you must mirror image the letters so they cut out looking backwards. When you place the vinyl on the fabric  for iron on the letter face the right direction. I have wasted a good bit of vinyl forgetting this fact when I rush. 




No comments:

Post a Comment