Thursday, November 10, 2011

Burnout shirt mishap and refashion to the rescue


Burnout shirt mishap and refashion to the rescue

I created a bunch of burnout shirts for a local gymnastics team support crew. I ordered Bella Burnout shirts and applied a rhinestone design (I created with the Silhouette) and some iron on logo stencils.
How the mishaps? Before I got my act together I tried to use Martha Stewart everything paints instead of the glitter vinyl stencil.  That did not work. In fact I used her silver foil, glitter transfer sheets and adhesive as well and none worked for me.

Long story short a few shirts had problems.  Enter the refashion.

  1. I used the reverse applique technique detailed at Sweet Verbena.   
  2. Mostly gone errors:)
  3. Simple oval to remove stuck together paint from the right top of the shirt.  
  4. I clipped the hem off a bad shirt and applied a 2 layer ruffle and added flowers made from the standard stacked circles and cross sewing on the machine. Using some circles cut from the rhinestone letters incorporates my pink color scheme I am using on the sugar skull. Bingo no more ugly mess.    
  5. I found a beautiful sugar skull image online at some point. I wish I could credit the designer but I clipped it for a tattoo idea and didn’t capture the artist name.  I loaded it in my silhouette cut line tool and went about meticulously creating an iron-on and weeding out the relief.  
  6. Bad photo I will try again with some help
  7.   Ironed onto the bottom side and my refashion took 30 minutes and now I have a fun shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment